Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral thrush
Mar 9, 2004

My Tcells are at 490...2 months ago 560 and 4 months ago 330. I am noticing a stick white film in my mouth on some days. I have actually noticed this for years(not sure how long I have been positive). Some days its really bad and I can actually wipe it out with a piece of tissue. Its just sticky white strainds. I also seem to have nasty taste like I have bad breath all the time..but no one says I have bad breath..not sure if they would..ha ha. Can this be a fungus....how do you check for this...and can they check when I dont have the sticky white film in my mouth. Can this thrush affect my stomach and cause gas, cramps also? My doctor didnt even check me when I mentioned it to him cause he said my tcells were so high. He said it sounds like my nasal passage is dripping to much so he put me on allegra. Your thoughts thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

A lot of people normally have a white or yellow coating on the tounge. However, after the diagnosis of HIV, many individuals, understandably, find themselves looking in the mirror and sticking their tounge out at themselves wondering if this coating is a sign of impending doom. It is not.

Thrush is when the yeast that normally lives in our mouths over grows. It starts to form not just on the tounge but on the cheeks or the other red surfaces of our mouths or throats. It can also involve the foodpipe making swallowing difficult or painful. Typically it appears white or yellow but it can less commonly also look very red (like a sunburn in your mouth).

It is possible you have become overly aware of your coated tounge. I suggest you brush your tounge when you brush your teeth. Also, mouth wash may help with the taste. If you see white patches on other surfaces make your doctor look (he does not make you say ahhh? What kind of doctor is this?). DW

Previous
Recently tested positive
Next
Need advice urgently

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.