Zoloft and anti virals

Hi, I have been taking Zoloft for several years which has worked very well for me. I have recently commenced anti viral treatment and the most noticable side effect has been on my mental state! To summarize,I am feeling and behaving like I did prior to Zoloft. I am taking Ziagen, Viramune & Videx. The Zoloft is 50mg per day. Do any of these meds. effect how Zoloft works? Is there any suggested ways to reduce the effects?

One of the challenges inherent with HIV therapy is the potential for drug-drug interactions. Viramune induces or increases the activity level of certain liver enzyme systems. The heightened activity of these liver enzymes may then increase the metabolism or clearance of other medications. This may be what is happening in your case with Zoloft since this agent is primarily metabolized and cleared through the liver.

You should discuss this situation with your doctor, the usual approach is to increase the dose of Zoloft or change to an alternative antidepressant. Another choice would be to change the antiretroviral regimen, but many other cocktails also have interactions or effects to be taken into consideration. Best of luck!

PI Pill Burden
Problem with Tcells, Viread and Testosterone