Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Meds or not to Meds?

My best friend just got diagnosed with HIV and the age of 22. Some doctors recommend starting meds right away, while others recommend waiting. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your question.

The key issues for your friend are as follows--

If she/he is very recently infected (within no more than 6 months), then many would recommend starting right away.

If she/he was infected longer than 6 months (so-called chronic infection), then the decision to start is based on whether the patient is symptomatic, or if the CD4 count is low.

I can't give you more particulars without knowing the details of your friend's case, but feel free to write back.

Having supportive friends and family can be very important for persons living with HIV-- to this extent, I'm happy to hear that your interested in your friends health. Thanks for reading. BY

Beginning meds
zoloft