O strain question
Mar 3, 2004
Dear Dr Pierone,
I am confused when it comes to testing for the O-strain. Does the current ELISA tests also cover all the different HIV strains or should we require a specific test for the O-strain ? I have been tested negative for HIV1/2 afte a risky exposure 7 months ago but there are still lingering symptoms making me doubt of the results. Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.
Response from Dr. Pierone
The standard ELISA tests in the U.S. are now designed to test for O strain HIV-1 as well as all group M strains. If your HIV test is negative that effectively excludes HIV infection as a cause for your symptoms.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Diarrhea After Swallowing Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Loose Stool After Breast Sucking Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Muscle Ache After Masturbation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Tingling Lips After Touching Penis Worried I Have HIV
- After Being Exposed To Hpv How Long Does It Take For Signs Of Cervical Cancer To Appear
- Do Pap Smears Test For Gonorrhea?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.