Given Meds. Is now the time to take them?

Hi. I just received my labs today and was prescribed Cobivir w/ Sustiva. My CD4 636 VL 45314....the doctor says that he thinks they've leveled out and now is the best time to start therapy. What do u think? And will this combination's side effects interfere with my school/work?

Thanks for your question.

If you aren't acutely infected (meaning that your HIV antibody test is not fully positive), I don't think that I would be recommending starting therapy with a CD4 count that was over 500.

Combivir/efavirenz (Stocrin or Sustiva) is certainly one of the best performing combinations for HIV-- it is generally very well tolerated, especially after the first week or so, when the efavirenz side effects wear off. Typically, I recommend to my patients who start efavirenz, that they start their first dose on a Friday night, so that if you do have some of the disorienting side effects of the medications, that they occur at a time when you can lie low.

Thanks for reading. BY

Viral Load
i have a question abut aids please help