Viral Load

I discovered my positive status 02/2003 and just had my first test completed after months of fear and not wanting to know. My cd4 is 691 and viral load was 10,000. I have read on this website about numerous people having undetecable viral load counts with no meds to date and current guidelines say not to start meds. My question, with a new diagnosis and higher viral load, what does this indicate? I read about wanting it to be undectable and acheiving that with meds, whats your impute?

Thanks for your questions.

There are a number of persons who have written our site with undetectable viral loads, but aren't on HIV medications. It is VERY important for our readers to understand that these persons, while maybe good internet writers, are extremely rare in the general HIV-infected population.

Current guidelines blend viral load and CD4 counts as measures for when to start therapy. Bottom line though, is that the CD4 count independently determines the immediate risk of having an AIDS complication.

Assuming that you are asymptomatic, with a CD4 count of approximately 700 and a slightly lower than average viral load (10,000), I would probably not recommend starting therapy. When your CD4 count drifts lower (~350 is where we are currently recommending starting), then starting therapy would make sense. Appropriately chosen medications should, at this time, reduce your viral load to undetectable levels.

Hope this helps, thanks for reading. BY

Parasites
Given Meds. Is now the time to take them?