CD4 number slow to rise

Hi doctors, I live in Thailand and have been positive since Jan 01. I have been on medication (combivir and stocrin) since May 03 when my CD4 was at 197 and 14.7. Since then I have had a couple of further viral load and CD4 tests which has shown that the viral load is undetectable and CD4 percentage rising to 18 and then 23 in last result 10 days ago. However my number of CD4 cells does not seem to be rising. From 197 they went to 209 and now latest is showing 230. Since being on meds I have had no illness and would have expected the CD4 number to have risen higher than this.

Is this something I should be unduly concerned at?

My doctor feels that perhaps in 4 months after my next viral load and CD4 tests she might suggest taking me off combivir and replacing it with a slightly lower dosage of AZT (to 250) and seperate 3TC medication however I am not clear if this is to do with trying to lift CD4 number or for some other reason. I love the simplicity of my current regime and would not be keen to move onto single dose tablets unless there is going to be some signifigant improvement in CD4 counts. So essentially my question is has AZT been shown to slow reproduction of CD4 cells in any way?

Would welcome any suggestions or ideas.

many thanks

Your numbers have improved, although I understand not to the degree you may have expected. As you point out, the CD4 percent has improved by 1.5 fold. I think this is a respectable result and would be reluctant to mess with this success.

Theoretically, AZT might lead to some suppression of cell counts but this seems unlikely in your case and is not what is seen in most.

Again, I would continue your regimen as long as you are tolerating it in every other way.

Viral Load going down, CD4, going up, on NO meds - when should i start?
really scared