GHOST

Hi, Dr. Benjamin, I'm from Brazil and forgive me my level english..

What i want know is...if you could help me... I began see ghosts since i discovered my hiv status... in 2000. I'm doing treatment of panic ... I think about death day and night.... What a person with hiv positive status can wait from life ?

Thanks for your question. There's no need to apologize for your english-- it's just fine.

I'm not much of a psychiatrist, but if you're really seeing ghosts, it speaks to your apprehension about HIV and your long-term health. Persons living with HIV should expect to live very long and healthy lives, particularly if they have access to health care and medications. The situation in Brazil is actually quite good and improving rapidly (with regard to access to medications).

A recent presentation by Dr. Palella for the US Centers for Disease Control states that even 8 years since the beginning of HAART therapy, that deaths among persons with HIV in the US remains very low, and that AIDS-related deaths are very, very rare (see TheBody's conference coverage for more details).

I'd encourage you to spend time at TheBody or speaking with local HIV service organizations to help answer your specific questions about your health.

Good luck, and stay in touch. BY

Good News
near an end?