off meds for 1 year 3 months

I have been off meds for 1 year 3 months and have viral load of 83 and CD4 of 1106. I am in the process of trying to find a new doctor due to changes in my current doctors practice. I have been positive since 1989. My question is whether I need a ID specialist or just find a family practice doctor and see a ID specialist once or twice a year? Also, would my situation be interesting to a research study?

Thanks for your question.

To me, the key issue for persons looking for a HIV doctor isn't whether they are infectious disease, or internal medicine or family medicine trained, but rather, are they a HIV specialist, with expertise and familiarity with HIV care. Most recently trained infectious disease doctors have had considerable HIV experience, but ID board certification may not alone be sufficient to prove expertise.

What I recommend is that you speak to your local AIDS service organizations for their recommendations for the good physicians in your community. Alternatively, a search of the American Academy of HIV Medicine, HIV Medicine Association or the International Assn of Physicans in AIDS Care might turn up some good leads.

Good luck, BY

Late doses.
New drugs on horizon?