Diarrhea caused by Entomoeba Hartmanni

Dear doctor:

I was diagnosed on Dec 2003, my first labs showed CD4: 421 and VL: 11.000, I did labs again after 3 weeks, that was in January 13, my CD4 showed: 565 and my VL went up to: 28.000. I think the raise of the CD4 can be due to a multivitamin that my doctor gave me on my first visit and that I have been taking ever since.

By the way ever since I know Im positive I have had diarrhea problems. I didnt start on medication yet. Tests were done on my stools and they found a parasite or bacteria, Im not sure of what it is exactly called Entomoeba Hartmanni, I have been on Flagyl for 10 days and I am going to start a new med called Humatin tomorrow, after the Flagyl.

Ive been reading about this parasite and it looks like is not so harmful as other Entomoeba, but it can stay for years. How can the diarrhea affect my immune system and T-Cells?, should I expect a high increase of VL in my next labs and a serious decrease on CD4?

Thank you very much for your time and your work.

This parasite is considered to be non-pathogenic (meaning not disease causing) - even in people with immunosupression. See CDC website fact sheet on th ebug at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/amebae/factsht_amebae.htm

Still its presence could indicate other infections that were not detected.

There are data that indicate intestinal parasites can raise HIV Viral load. If your diarrhea is infectious, then treating it should help your numbers, which even with the diarrhea are pretty good. DW

Follow-up to cholesterol question
Staph