Drugs - Combivir and Retrovir

Kindly explain to me the treatment that I am about to take - Combivir and Retrovir and their side effects please. I am 33 weeks pregnant and will deliver in 38 weeks through ceaser. I'll be starting to take this treatment Monday next week. My viral load being 932 and cd4 count is 674. Kindly explain these drugs to me and what will happen after delivery and what to expect while taking them. Thank you

Response from Dr. Lee

I am not sure why you would be given both Combivir (which is a combination pill of Retrovir and Epivir) and also Retrovir (as Retrovir is included in the combination pill). The chemical name for Retrovir is Zidovudine. If that is actually in both of the pills you have been prescribed, there is a problem. I would not take them both because it would result in too high a dose.

It is also not entirely clear that it would be necessary to have a ceasarian delivery if the viral load is only 932 before you are taking the medicine.

I would encourage you to ask your doctor about his or her experience with HIV and pregnancy. Depending on where you are located, there may be a low number of HIV associated pregnancies and your doctor may have limited actual experience. It may be helpful for you and for your doctor to have a consultation with a more experienced physician.

should I change the regimen ?
No side effects?