Trying to find a doctor

I found out I'm hiv + last April. My family doctor referred me to a infectious disease doctor. I'm not happy at all with this doctor. She never returns my calls, she rushes my visits, and I've been unable to find out my recent t-cells & vl numbers since November. She just said the numbers are ok, but won't tell me the exact numbers. She also told me I only need to see her once a year, which is not true according to what I've been reading. It's been very upseting for me. First finding out about having hiv, and dealing with a doctor that I don't have confidence in. Can you please tell me where I can find another hiv doctor, I'm in NYC. Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks for your note-

Finding a good HIV healthcare provider is a very important part to maximizing the likelihood that you'll receive good care. Good communication skills, to me, are a very important part of this equation. I would make sure that this doctor understand your discontent, but also, in return, understand that there are ever increasing demands on real world HIV doctors-- it might just be a matter of bad timing or the need to find an alternative mechanism for communication.

Failing that, it is your right to find the medical situation that best fits your needs-- this means a place where you can feel safe, have your questions and concerns answered to your complete satisfaction. There are a number of very highly qualified HIV specialists in NYC, rather than telling names (and risking alienating those not mentioned), I'd encourage you to look at TheBody's AIDS Service organization (ASO) finder (www.asofinder.com) or the American Academy of HIV Medicine's website (www.aahivm.org) for the inside scoop. Talk to your friends or the local organization for their thoughts-- they'll know who in your community is respected and, who's not.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing. BY

KS in the GI track
Bactrim, is it absolutely necessary