KS in the GI track

Dear Dr. Young,

I have been on chemo (Doxil) for KS and have had severe anemia requiring blood transfussions. A colonoscopy and an endoscopy were performed and I have 4 KS lessions in my stomach (3) and colon(1) -- This lessions along with the bone marrow suppresion of the chemo seem to be causing my dangerous anemia that in the month of January has requiered 4 units od blood twice (Jan 7th and the 28th).

The question is the following, in your practice and with the experience you have treating AIDS patients, what's the prognosis for someone in my situation -- I'm begging you please be honest, it doesn't matter how bad the news, you must have seen patients in my condition either getting better or dying. My HAART is working pretty well and after 3 months my numbers are CD4: 117 and VL: 363. All studies point to very bad prognosis but what are your experiences as far as surviving and getting better with KS lessions in the GI track with treatment of Doxil and HAART.

I have done 3 chemo treatments and while my skin lessions are getting better the internal ones seem to be bleeding so much lately that require transfusions every 20 days - Please help me with you comments!!!

Desperate in Miami.-

Thanks for your question.

I've certainly seen patients over the years with visceral (internal) KS-- you're correct in that the prognosis for these patients is more serious than for those who simply have skin lesions.

That said, I remain cautiously optimistic for the long-term health for these patients, so long as HAART therapy can be used effectively and that the viral load response is a good one.

It sounds to me that the primary issue for you isn't the HAART therapy, but rather, the side effects and complications of your chemotherapy for the KS. So hopefully, when the chemo sessions are done, your medical issues (like the bone marrow suppression, and need for transfusions) should abate.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing. BY

Aussie Vaccine
Trying to find a doctor