Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

some unusual CBC,any danger?
Feb 12, 2004

Doctor, I am a female and have been HIV+ for 2 years,my health is basicly fit and not under any treatment till now.Every 4 months I do cd4 and virus load test and CBC test under doctor's advice. The latest tests was done last week, CD4 count was 612, virus loa d was 6500,the two counts were normal, but I am very worried about my CBC,some are very unusual as below and the trend is continuing: average platelet volume:5.9 6.5-11.5(normal range)

platelet distribute width:19.4 10-16(normal range)

lymph cell percent:42 20-40(normal range)

monoploid cell percent:9.1 3-8(normal range)

monoploid cell count:0.9 0.12-0.8normal range)

neutral cell percent:49.4 50-70(normal range)

From above counts,doctor,as you can see these blood cells related immune are below or beyong normal range,as I remember my average platelet volume 4 months before is 6.3, but it is only 5.9 now,and monoploid cell count is climbing,these unusual make me very worried,does this indicate there is some dangers need I and my doctor's special notice?Does HIV infection make average platelet volume go down?Is there any danger for my health because of the unusual CBC? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Young

I wouldn't be overly concerned about your blood work. It's not unusual to see minor variation in blood counts among asymptomatic persons with HIV infection. BY

Previous
HIV Similar to Diabetes?
Next
Aussie Vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.