HIV Similar to Diabetes?

I've read several postings that your expectation is HIV today is similar to other chronic diseases, such as diabetes, and that if adherence to treatment is followed strictly, a near normal life expectancy is a predictable result. Is this the expectation of HIV treatment today, or is this your ideal of HIV treatment today?

Thanks for your question.

I think that this might be a bit of a semantical issue; but it's safest to say that having a near normal life expectancy is ideal. Since were still only just starting the third decade of the HIV epidemic, any prediction is just that-- a prediction.

That said, the vast majority of my patients are living life as well, or even better than my general medical patients with diabetes (alone). Both diseases, untreated lead to premature death and multiple complications. Well treated, persons with either disease can live very long, and generally asymptomatic lives. Disease-specific complications though, can and do occur in some persons, even when treatments are strictly adhered to. So the first statement is not a guarantee, but a hope. A very real hope.

I hope that this helps clarify things for you. BY

Wanna know more..
some unusual CBC,any danger?