RE:follow up: 44d mutation & epiver question (Jan 11, 2004)

Gerald,

Thanks for your input. Its been about 2 weeks since I've started Videx EC in my mix (with viread, virimune and epivir). About 5 days ago I started getting muscle pain in my right arm and shoulder joint, bad enough at night when I'm trying to sleep it keeps me awake. I have been able to control it with a heating pad and ibuprofen. Now I have a rash on my right arm and inside my right hand, and sometimes electric shock feeling running down my arm. The rash is sensitive on the arm. I did talk to my doctor and told him about the muscle pain... and he didn't think it was related to the Videx EC. I forgot to tell him about the rash--- I will call him again. Here's my question: do you think the muscle soreness is Videx EC related? I'm certain the rash is. Is this serious enough to STOP the Videx EC? Or does this usually resolve itself over time? At what point do you recommend stopping a drug? I know this is not the "side effects" board.. however, since we've been chatting.. I thought you could provide me with your thoughts.

Thanks!

It sounds like you may have an attack of dermatomal zoster (shingles). The development of pain followed by rash and shooting pains is suggestive of this viral infection (varicella zoster virus). Localized rash and pain is not generally associated with Videx EC. This response is dated though and I suspect this issue has already been resolved.

CD-4 & Viral Load on drug holiday
AZT-related nausea