Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical nasal spray in clinical trial to flush out HIV
Feb 2, 2004

Recently, I saw a report on TV about a clinical trial testing a nasal spray containing (I believe) a protein that can "flush out" the HIV virus from reservoirs in the body (lymph nodes, etc.). The report said that the medication in the spray was showing promise in doing what it was supposed to, and that it may be a good treatment for erradicating more of the virus in the body that is hidden.

What is the status of this clinical trial? How soon will this become available?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Here is the link to coverage of the article. The spray is peptide T. The data is very preliminary and years away from fruition (if ever). This notion of immune system purging in conjunction with HIV treatment is a good one and a number of agents have been proposed over the years.

Previous
hiv fitness? what does this mean?
Next
aren't I sort of entitled to this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.