confused about window period with hiv 2?

Dr. Gerald,

In general, is there a difference in seroconversion times for hiv 1 and 2? for hiv 2 testing, is it necessary to wait longer than 3 months?

Below is a post from on recent post that confuses me

"My life was hell since then - the doctors in the US tested me for every form of HIV-1...after all, the woman was Caucasian European and there was no obvious African connection. One HIV-2 Elisa test was negative after the window period, but either HIV-2 antibody creation can take longer (Maybe because HIV-2 is a bit less virulent than HIV-1?) or my metabolism was slow. So, after dozens of other tests and Cat Scans etc., the doctors said that maybe this could be anxiety driven!"

So what is your outake on this?

Janet

HIV-2 is less virulent than HIV-1. It is also extremely rare in the United States, but increasing in prevalence (still rare though) in Europe. I could find no evidence that the window period is longer than for HIV-1.

ritonavir price increase
Want to help