The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV-2 tests

Feb 1, 2004

I know you're probably thinking that answering that one HIV-2 question has stirred up worried well anxiety about possibly having gone under the radar with HIV-1 specific tests.

But I was also exposed to someone who takes frequent trips to England, and I have a whole "worried well" story that still has every doctor I see baffled. I'm symptomatic with lymphandanopathy, weight loss, and rash, and it all began several weeks after this exposure. Each doctor has had another bogus excuse for me not to worry about HIV-2. Some told me that the HIV-1 test picks up HIV-2 as well. Others have told me that unless I have slept with someone from Africa, I don't need to worry about it. Well, now I see that HIV-2 is becoming more common in England. Now tell me, are these HIV-1 tests really sensitive to HIV-2 antibodies as well? Just how sensitive are they?

Response from Dr. Pierone

I spoke to some laboratory experts to better answer this question and this is what I came up with. Current EIA tests for HIV-1 have some cross-reactivity with HIV-2 and will often show positive for individuals with HIV-2 infection. Some commercially available tests specifically test for both HIV-1 and HIV-2; in the future this dual test will likely become the standard.

In your situation, simply have an HIV-2 antibody test performed. Good luck!

What does this mean?
doc Gerald where are you, TMC-114 update

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint