hiv/hep B co-infection life expectancy?

Dr. Young,

As falling into this category I was wondering what the life expectancy is with such a co-infection? Is it different than with just having hiv? Please can you clarify this for me?

John Roberts

Thanks for your question.

I'm not sure how good our epidemiology is on this, but the first and essential issue is whether or not you have active hepatitis B or not. If the situation is the later, then you should really never have problems due to this virus.

If you have chronic, active HBV, then it's clear that you face additional health risks from hepatitis as well as HIV-- but both can be well managed, and we now have 4 medications to treat HBV (adefovir, tenofovir (not FDA- indicated), emtricitabine (FTC) and lamivudine).

No matter what, getting good ongoing evaluations for both the HIV and HBV are key to long-term heatlh, and I'd be expecting very long-term survival. BY

viral load
Question about VIRACEPT