Switch off Zerit

Hello Dr Wohl.

With all the concerns about wasting and the fact that Zerit is a promoter of that, I managed to convince my doctor to switch me to combivir + viramune. I was on (from Sept. '03)nevirapine + stavudine+ lamivudine (All generics as I live in Africa).

My concern is this, the combivir I got is due to expire in Feb "04 and I got a 4 month stock as the hospital is in a town very far from where I leave but my Doctor assured me that I can use it for another six months after expiry with no problems. Is this correct?

There were no readily available drugs then so I had no much choice.

Please reply.

Thanks

I understand your concerns and you are in a tough situation.

I do think it important that all who read this forum realize that despite all the talk about side effects, most people do not experience severe side effects from HIV meds. Body shape changes happen over months to years not over night. If you were not experiencing any adverse effects from your first regimen, I too would have suggested you stay with it rather than risk something worse (viral failure, drug resistance) which could be devestating without the benefit of salvage drugs. d4T has problems but is one of the most accessible HIV meds in Africa.

Your Combivir will probably be okay for a few months after its expiration. After that, it may be time to consider going back to to d4T.

Thanks

T20 with 3TC?
908 (Lexiva) | Check-in