Anticort by Samaritan Pharmaceuticals

Dr. Dave,

Anticort procaine HCl has the word on the street that here in Chicago it might be something that might help make a difference in hiv treatment. It is a compound produced by Samaritan Pharmaceuticals Las Vegas, NV and if my understanding is correct it has finished phase II trials. I was wondering if you have heard any affirmative or encouraging remarks on this agent. I would love your feedback. Thanks.

Scared Fireman in Chicago

Dear Scared,

I remember investigating this agent a few months ago in response to a forum question. I looked again into this and while there is much on the web (usually postings from the company that is trying to market it) there is precious little about this procaine based fromulation in the published literature.

On the company's own website (www.anticort.com) there is only one article listed in the HIV section and it reports the results in rats on cortisol levels, not HIV.

I don't know where this is in clinical trials. Press releases from the late 1990's state the agent was being tested in HIV+ people (including a scary reference to a trial in kids in Romania) but I don't see results.

Sorry. DW

Dr. Dave come back please! :-)
T20 with 3TC?