Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

I'm THRILLED! (Should I be?)

Hi, guys. Thanks for all your help to date... Here's another question:

I just started my first HAART regimen on New Years Day. Found out after the fact that my bloodwork on 12/30, just 2 days before I started treatment, was CD4/193 (21) & VL 876,000 (a four-fold increase in less than three weeks).

My next blood work was on 1/6, just five doses into my regimen. And when I got the results I was amazed: my CD4s were up to 248 (25) and my VL was down to 68,900 -- a 79 drop!

Now, today, my doc emailed me the results of my most recent bloodwork done last Tuesday, 1/13, and I really can't believe it. Although my CD4s dropped a little bit to 232 (24.4), my VL is down to 7,310 -- that's more than a 99.99 reduction in just 12 days of treatment. I can't quite believe that's possible...

So, now I'm wondering: is this as phenomenal as I think it is, or is it just par for the course. (Haven't had a chance to talk in depth with my doc about it yet...) Of course I want to believe that it bodes well for my future, but am I just getting excited about a pretty commonplace occurence?

Thanks, D

D-- thanks for your post.

You've certainly had a very good initial response to your HAART therapy-- typically, if I see a 99% drop at this point, I'm very satisfied. Newer regimens do offer improved potency (and tolerability); but the magnitude of the early viral load drop is a measure of how potent the drugs are for YOUR virus and is an excellent bellweather of things to come.

Keep up the adherence, good luck and thanks for reading. BY

WHY DOESNT ANYONE ANSWER ME ON THIS FORUM!!
Number of infected??? PLease answer.