shall I begin?

Viral load hovering slightly above undetectible; cd4s remain in the 500s with 40. But I'm finally beginning to feel extreme fatigue - maybe it's just the weather? Besides that, I have been losing lean body mass for about a year now, and it's getting kind of ugly in my legs, buttocks and face. I have a regular dietitian and personal trainer, and they have been working together to try and solve the problem but to no avail. They both strongly suspect this is HIV-related, as they work with many HIV positives. The nodes in my groin, armpits, and neck are also intermittently enlarged and painful. Finally, I'm always coming down with something - minor cold, a deep cough, and my bowels are foul. I know with my numbers, any doctor would be hard pressed to initiate HAART, but I'm heavily symptomatic, and my ID has been putting treatment off now for over a year dispite these problems.

Are there any other infections I should be looking for? We tested for toxoplasmosis and crypto-something (the exact name escapes me). Both negative. Negative for syphilis, all the heps, TB, all the herpes, you name it. I even went on antidepressants for a few months, and although my mood was elevated, the problems remained.

Please tell me there is something I am missing.

I wonder if you could have an HIV-related colitis - a bowel disease caused by the virus itself that is leading to poor absorbsion of nutrients and subsequent weight loss, fatigue and the other symptoms you are experiencing.

I would make sure a blood albumin was checked to get a sense of whether you are overall deficient in protein. Other common nutrition parameters such as transthyretin can also be checked.

If you do have evidence of such a colitis, HIV therapy would be justified, I feel, despite your high CD4 and low viral load. I have a patient with a similar history who improved dramatically after we started her on antiretroviral treatment.

If further work-up does not reveal a cause, a trial of HIV therapy will probably not hurt and, if you improve, support HIV as the root problem. DW

Change from Norvir
RECENT HIV POSITIVE