Genotype results

Dear Dr's,

I have been positive since 1990 and I didn't start taking drugs until 1997. Since 1997 I have been taking Epivir,Viramune, and Zerit. Within the last 6 month I could see the start of some facial wasting, etc. Last month I dropped Zerit and replaced it with Viread. Within a month, I gained 8lbs and looked amazingly healthier. With all tht said , here is my question, ever since 1997 my Tells cells have gone up on EVERY occasion (I do bloodwork approx 3x's a yr)from a low of 11 to the current 587. My viral load has been undetectible since as well and still is. I did a genotype (12/03) and my doctor says I have resistance to Epivir and Viramune and wants me to change drugs. Everything seems to be working great, so I am not sure what I should do? Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Lee

The development of resistance is progressive. Generally it is better to switch treatment when resistance is first evident rather than waiting and allowing further resistance mutations to accumulate.

It is not clear to me how a genotype was done if your viral load is undetectible. Generally it is necessary to have detectible viral levels in order to genotype the virus. My suggestion is that you review this closely with your doctor.

Change from Norvir
low Vl