Resistant Before Invention

Dear kind, gentile doctor:

I have heard that HIV could

be resistant to medications

that yet have to be invented.

I find this prospect

disturbing. What is your

opinion on this fact?

Orla on the Isle of Man

Dear Orla,

What you may have heard is that HIV resistant to HIV medications can be transmitted to others which may compromise the effectiveness of therapy with these drugs in the newly infected person.

In your corner of the planet, about 10% of newly infected people have evidence of major HIV drug resistance. The most common mutations are against the oldest drugs, the nucleosides, but resistance to more than one HIV drug class was seen in a significant number of people with recently acquired HIV. Clearly, this can have implications for future therapy with current and even yet to be developed HIV therapies. The good news is that newer therapies designed to fight resistant virus are being developed.

Thanks for your question. By the way, I am not a gentile. DW

Combivir/Norvir
Doing Research