Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Prognosis??
Jan 3, 2004

Hello. This is a great website, and I thank you all for it. Here's my question. To the best of my knowledge, I was infected on 12/30/02. To date, almost a year into it, I have been, I assume, very lucky. Last week my VL was 25,600 (up from 10,500 a month earlier), and my CD4 was 499, or 31. My strain showed no resistance to any medications whatseover. My doctor says that, based on his 20+ years of experience, this bodes very well for my future. He says I'm in the top 10 percentile as far as the best one can hope for in this situation. And he says that it appears I might go years without having to begin any treatment. Putting his opinion out of your mind for a moment, I would like a second opinion from you. Do you concur? How common are my circumstances? Based on this information and your experience, what's your prognosis? I'm 32 years old, eat well, excercise religiously, and don't smoke or take drugs. Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, this sounds correct. You didn't mention your viral load test, but based on what your doctor told you I suspect you had a relatively low viral load in addition to your good CD4 count. If the viral load is low this indicates that the CD4 count will tend to decline slowly over years and you can be watched off HIV meds. Thanks for posting.

Previous
rise in VL and hep A-B vaccine
Next
Time zone changes to regimen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.