First time on meds

Hi Doctor. I have just started meds. The more i read the more confused i get. I am taking efavirenz 600mg and a combo of limivudine 150mg/zidovudine300mg. I have been on the meds five weeks and doing good. Side effects not to bad, but i just read that the efavirenz causes changes in body fat (buffalo hump) and other changes. Can you tell me how long it takes before these changes start and if they go away if i change meds. Since i have been on the drugs my Tcell has gone from 257 to 259 but my percantage is up 4 and my viral load has gone from 39000 to 66.This is a clinical trial so i will be on this for a year. Hopw you can help. W

Hello, even though you are in a clinical trial, you are receiving Combivir (combination of lamivudine - 3TC and AZT - zidovudine) and Sustiva. This combination is probably the most commonly used initial regimen in the U.S. Sustiva is not particularly known for producing a buffalo hump, a rare complication in any case. You may not develop side effects with this regimen, but since you are in a study you will have close monitoring for early detection. If side Good luck!

what is going to be the next major hiv breakthrough?
Lymph nodes