Resuming treatment?

I was diagnosed with HIV in 1997 and immediately received retroviral treatment. Because I went through a period of symptoms that match the syndromes many experience shortly after infection, my physician and I believed that we had caught the virus early on. For almost two years I received treatment, at the end of which my physician reported that my counts were so good that I could (if I chose) suspend retroviral treatment until my counts indicated a weakening of my immune system. Shortly thereafter (end of 1999), I relocated across the country and began with a another physician who monitored my health. But my new job and life quickly became hectic and I saw very little of him, with no retroviral treatment or monitoring.

Lately I have had some concerns about my health. Although I have not noticed any weight loss (my friends say they have, but I do not monitor my weight with a scale), I have noticed whiteness on my tongue and sore spots on my mouth that sometimes hurt and are often sore. Also, I have chronic diarrhea and fatigue. Should I be concerned that my immune system may be weakening? I also lead a hectic life and perhaps these are the result of that more than anything else?

The symptoms that you are experiencing are not normal and should be checked out. It is quite possible that they may reflect weakening of the immune system since early findings are often non-specific and insidious in onset. In spite of the demands of your hectic life and job these problems deserve your immediate attention. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

starting meds
ADHD Medications and HIV