How long's it gonna work?

Well, it looks like it is time to start HAART. CD4 = 285 VL = 120,000. I have minor symptoms of skin rashes, weight loss, and fatigue.

Will be starting with the twice a day combination of stavudine [Zerit] 40 mg, lamivudine [Epivir] 150 mg and nevirapine [Viramune] 200 mg, that is manufactured here in Thailand.

My question is, assuming 100 adherence, how long can I realistically expect this combination of drugs to be effective?

I am treatment naive.

Thank you for your assessment.

Thanks for your question.

It's heartening to know that readers in Asia might benefit from our work here at TheBody.

Now, on to your question. The regimen that you'll be taking should be very well tolerated, and with the availibility of the combination pill, very easy to take.

Assuming that you're able to tolerate the medication and have "100%" adherence, there's no reason to think that the regimen won't last for a very long time, many years, hopefully. This statement is not a replacement for good clinical and laboratory monitoring, nor is it a promise of long-term durability; but do know that I have many patients who have been on their "first" HAART regimen, without treatment failure, from the very first year that HAART was available, in 1995.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

can he still be helped?
Is a normal CD4 level and undetectable VL usual for the first 2 to 3 years of infection?