Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

4 questions from Europe
Dec 21, 2003

Hello Mr Young and thanks for the great work you do! I have 4 questions for you:

1) You have answered that a positive person can live 30-40 years. I understand that you do not have a crystal ball but did you mean that the aforementioned estimate is realistic with current medications or did you mean that it is realistic if we expect that there will be better medications in the future? I would like to think that a positive person could live 30 - 40 years with the current medications and during this time we will have better drugs so that we will have more years to come.

2) How long a positive person can stay in work? if the treatment is good, do you think that a person can stay in work until normal pension age? (if we assume that a person was infected when he/she was 20 yrs old)

3) Do you think that it is even possible that we will have a cure in next lets say 25 years? In history mankind has always had some bad diseases going on and modern science has cure for most of then. Can hiv be someday in this position?

4) Can infection cause a person to have little pimples if his/her face (6 months after infection)???

I know that you are busy but please find time to answer to my questions!

best regards and keep up the good work!!!

- a fan from Europe

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question and I apologize for the delay in response.

Let's see if I can answer your questions.

(1) My prediction of the future was based on the existing set of medications and medical knowledge base. I think that it's safe to hope that things will even be better in the years to come. Think back only 10 years ago to where we were with HIV medications.

(2) It's my belief that an HIV-infected person should be able to live (and work) a normal number of years (to normal pension age)-- if everything goes according to plans.

(3)I don't think that we will have a cure to eliminate HIV from the bodies of chronically infected persons. I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't see dramatic advances in this field to date, but then again, the history of medicine is full of unexpected advances.

(4) HIV infection is associated with a wide variety of mild skin maladies-- I would surmise that pimples fall into this category.

I hope this answers your questions. Thanks for reading-- it's good to know that we're reaching readers on the Continent. Happy holidays from the Americas. BY

Previous
Starting Meds and Excessive Sleep
Next
When to start?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.