Starting Meds and Excessive Sleep

I started Sustiva/Viread/Epivir on 12/1/03. I took Sustiva/Zerit/Epivir from 09/99-12/02 and quit due to lipoatrophy. I started again due to skin rashes that I suspect are HIV-related. Pre-med VL was 280,000 T-cells 26. VL was 100,000 and T-cells 24 three months ago.

I now find I am extremely tired, although I feel healthy. I have slept as much as 14 hours/day. I am wondering about the intial physical impact of taking meds. The rash appears to be clearing up and I have no other med side effects. Is it common to become tired or sleepy when starting meds, perhaps from changes in the way my body is fighting hiv?

Thanks for your post.

Other than a possible initial reaction to efavirenz (Sustiva), I can't think of why you should have excessive sleep. This certainly is not a common side effect, but hopefully it will gradually decrease over time. The fact that you didn't have this effect when you took medications in the past makes this whole thing seem odd to me, but perhaps it is a very rare side effect from the new combination.

Should the symptoms not improve, I'd certainly let your doctor know about your symptoms.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

Effect of tonsillectomy on counts
4 questions from Europe