Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Just Got Labs

I am a 39yr old male.

I have known since 2yrs ago that I am infected. Just moved to a new location where I can get access to labs, and just got my results back.

CD4=439 HIV VL=2800 Anti-HBC = reactive Anti-HBS = nonreactive CD4=22 HBSAG=negative HCV AB=negative HIV AB=positive

I'm not due to see my doctor till late january.

What are the implications of these results for starting treatment?

Would I have to go on meds?

If i have to delay meds, what can I do to improve my cd4 and lower the viral load?

thanks for your advice and assistance.

/MN

Thanks for your post.

Your labs tell me several things-- first, HIV-wise; you definitely have HIV, with a positive HIV Ab (antibody) and positive viral load. Your viral load is very low and suggests that in your circumstance, the rate of CD4 cell decline (and hence, HIV disease progression) will be slow.

Your current CD4 cell count (especially if confirmed by later tests) is in the normal range (above 350) and does not suggest to me that you'll need to start on HIV medications in the near future.

The other labs relate to your exposure to hepatitis viruses (HBV and HCV, to be specific). The reactive anti-HBV core antibodies ("anti-HBC") indicates that you've been exposed to hepatitis B in the past, but the negative HBSAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) means that there's no evidence of the virus in your blood (this is a good thing, and means that you shouldn't have any problems with this virus). The negative HCV Ab (hepatitis C antibodies) means that your body has never been exposed to hepatitis C virus.

Hope this helps, BY

After gp160 vaccine trial, am I still treatment naive?
Viral Load Not Going Undetectable