My New Regimen

I am currently taking the following once a day regimen that is supposedly very cutting edge:

Viramune/Viread/Emtriva

I am having a generally good response but I do have some tenderness underneath my ribcage. My liver enzyme tests (taken now every two weeks) are normal.

I want to be proactive about combating drug toxicity because I like the tolerability and convenience of this regimen and hope to stay on it indefinitely.

What are some things I can do to combat liver toxicity and renal toxicity? And is there anything I should supplement with this drug combination that might help avoid other health problems (heart and otherwise) in the future? I do not have any GI symptoms and my sense is lipodystrophy/atophy is not a big risk with this current 4 pill a day combo.

Any predictions/study analysis around this combo would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

The first several things to avoid toxicity are to avoid missing doses of medications and make sure that you get routine follow up lab testing. These things go a long way to prevent side effects and toxicity.

Past that, make sure that you get your get your hepatitis A and B vaccinations and practice safe sex and/or drugs, since acquiring a hepatitis infection can really make liver injury (both directly from the virus and from drugs) a bigger issue. Avoidance of excessive tylenol or alcohol also will help prevent liver toxicity.

As for kidney toxicity, there's not a whole lot to do, other than routine monitoring. Avoidance of excessive non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (like ibuprofen or naprosyn) can help too.

I tend not to be a big supplement advocate, since there are so many hidden potential drug-drug interactions and frankly, I'm not convinced of any data that shows they're benficial to anyone (except the people who sell them).

You're correct in the assumption that your regimen of tenofovir/emtricitabine/nevirapine should have little in the way of excessive lipodystrophy risk, though I reserve the final judgement to long-term studies of this regimen (since there have been none to date).

Thanks for reading. BY

Hepatittis B
Pre-existing Heart Disease and Newly Diagnosed w/HIV