Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Time For New Meds?
Dec 21, 2003

Tested Positive in March 2003. Believe I may have been infected for 5 yrs. but was never tested. 3-17-03 cd4 = 58 vl 198287 wbc 2.2; started meds of combivir and viracept 2 times a day; 7-2-03 cd4 = 200 vl 888 wbc 2.3; 11-17-03 cd4 = 196 vl 261 wbc 2.3. Based on what I read I would think my cd4 and wbc counts would be higher. Except for occassional diarrhea I seem to be tolerating these meds well. Of course with the wbc count and lower cd4 I am still tired alot but I feel much better than I did in March. Any suggestions ( med combinations) to get my cd4 and wbc count up? I have had two resistance test. I have asked my doctor for copies of the test results however, he has failed to provided those to me. He seems hesitant to change my meds. Suggestions?

PS - The Body has been a God send in helping me understand this disease. THANKS!

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. Combivir and Viracept used to be one of the most common regimens for HIV treatment. The main weakness of this combination is for people with high viral loads (like yours). You have responded to therapy, but ideally the viral load should be less than 75 at this point. If the viral load continues to decline (I would check monthly to be sure) to undetectable then ok to continue. If it has reached a plateau or goes up you should consider changing to a more potent regimen. A more potent regimen would be either a boosted protease inhibitor (Norvir/Reyetaz, Norvir/Lexiva, and Kaletra) or a NNRTI (Sustiva, Viramune). However, is the level of virus does not go completely undetectable you may have developed resistance to Epivir, so the results of the resistance tests are necessary before any change is made.

The increase in CD4 count to 200 is about what one would expect. There is evidence that AZT seems to blunt some of the CD4 count recovery in response to therapy.

Good luck and give us an update on how things go. GP

Previous
Change Of Meds Opinion Please?
Next
Hepatittis B

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.