Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My friend has been diagnosed
Dec 21, 2003

My friend (14 yrs) was recently diagnosed with HIV- his father sexually assualted (raped) him and passed the disease on.(he is seeing a therapist)

How many pills will my friend be taking? I've heard a lot of different answers but I was wondering if because of his age he'll be recieving a certain limit. What are the side effects?

His doctor said his healthy anitbody count (T-cells, yes?) was high- how long (ballpark) will my friend live if he takes his pills and remains healthy? Ten years? Twenty years?

Will the pills or the infection affect how he developes physically (through the rest of puberty)- his voice has pretty much changed completely but beyond that I'm not sure how much more he'll develope.

I'm sorry if I'm asking on the wrong forum or something but I wasn't sure which one applies to me.

-Jesse

Response from Dr. Pierone

Sorry to hear about your friend and his diagnosis with HIV infection. It is very difficult to predict decades into the future regarding health status and ultimate longevity. With these limitations in mind, my belief is that lifespan can be near normal for those with access to HIV medications. If your friend's CD4 cells (T cells) are good (above 350 or so) treatment will likely be deferred at this time. When treatment is begun, the typical initial regimen now contains 4 or 5 pills daily. In a few years it may be just one or two pills a day. Side effects are possible, but we strive to match the antiretroviral cocktail with the individual to mitigate toxicity. Many people on therapy don't experience any discernable side effects. His physical development should be normal.

You mentioned that he is receiving counseling for his sexual abuse. The psychological component of his medical care is critical and should be ongoing. One of the most emotionally damaging acts that a person can experience is childhood sexual abuse. Proper attention and care for this trauma can not be overstated. Take care and let us know how things go. GP

Previous
treatment centers
Next
Change Of Meds Opinion Please?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.