Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Clarification on HIV and AIDS status

I read that AIDS is defined by a point at which the cd4 count goes below a certain level.

Can you confirm my understanding of this definition? Also if this is the case and considering the fact that we are able raise cd4 levels through therapy is it possible to go from having AIDS to hiv status?

One can have AIDS by one of two ways--

Either the CD4 absolute count is below 200; or

one of a number of "AIDS indicator illnesses"-- like Pneumocystis pneumonia, Kaposi's sarcoma or cytomegalovirus infection, for example.

If the CD4 count rises from below 200 to above 200, the persons still carries the diagnosis of AIDS, but doesn't usually have the same risk for medical complications. BY

Vaccine & Immune Response
Early therapy missed