Two Questions

Hello Dr. Young,

Could you please let me know the drugs used in HAART. And also the HAART is patient-specific, i.e. if an HIV+ patient A, who has started treatment in 2-3 moths of infection, is taking a set of drugs under HAART, then whether another patient B, who has also started treatment in 2-3 moths of infection, can take the same set of drugs.

Also, do you know if researchers have found whether a post-infection cure of HIV is possible and it is a matter of time only for such drugs.

Thanks for your opinion.

Anonymous.

Dear Anonymous:

Thank you for your questions.

I'm not entirely sure if I understand your query, but here goes. As for your first question, provided that a person is doing well (typically, meaning has an undetectable viral load on a first HAART regimen), then switching from regimen to another can be done without risk. This of course, assumes that the person has no evidence of acquired drug resistance.

As for your second question, saddly, I think that a post-infection "cure" for HIV is not possible in the near future. Immune based therapies probably offer our best hope in this area, but are still in their foundling days and it would be very premature to give hope about their full implications and/or potentcy. BY

pain in anas
Recent;y infected Siniger worried about nodes/tonils