Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Less Toxic Options & Vaccines
Dec 13, 2003

Hi,

I've been reading your site every day since finding out I was HIV+ in July, 2003 (probably infected for a year). You all are doing a wonderful service to the HIV community and I appreciate the honest responses!

My last 3 lab tests have shown TCell Count around 700 and VL around 500 copies. Currently healthy and overall feel fine. Obviously, given the current guidelines I should not begin HAART therapy. My question is whether you see any drugs in the pipeline in the near to mid term that may have a low enough toxic profile that may result in starting HAART at a higher TCell count (and assuming no other symptoms). Also, are any of the thereauputic vaccine trials looking promising?

Thanks!

John

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hi and glad to hear that you find the site to be helpful. We just don't know enough about the safety of some of the newer agents until they have been in use for a while. Of course, novel agents have to pass safety evaluations in animals in order to reach human trials. We can then get a sense of how well tolerated a new medication is in initial trials. But the late side effects (if any) might well be unapparent during trials. That said, current therapy is much better than what was available 5 years ago and it may turn out that we start treating persons at earlier time points as the situation evolves and new studies become available.

The therapeutic vaccine work being done is very promising and hopefully we will see some new data at Retrovirus in February.

Previous
skin allergies
Next
Italian Therapeutic Vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.