Less Toxic Options & Vaccines

I've been reading your site every day since finding out I was HIV+ in July, 2003 (probably infected for a year). You all are doing a wonderful service to the HIV community and I appreciate the honest responses!

My last 3 lab tests have shown TCell Count around 700 and VL around 500 copies. Currently healthy and overall feel fine. Obviously, given the current guidelines I should not begin HAART therapy. My question is whether you see any drugs in the pipeline in the near to mid term that may have a low enough toxic profile that may result in starting HAART at a higher TCell count (and assuming no other symptoms). Also, are any of the thereauputic vaccine trials looking promising?

Thanks!

John

Hi and glad to hear that you find the site to be helpful. We just don't know enough about the safety of some of the newer agents until they have been in use for a while. Of course, novel agents have to pass safety evaluations in animals in order to reach human trials. We can then get a sense of how well tolerated a new medication is in initial trials. But the late side effects (if any) might well be unapparent during trials. That said, current therapy is much better than what was available 5 years ago and it may turn out that we start treating persons at earlier time points as the situation evolves and new studies become available.

The therapeutic vaccine work being done is very promising and hopefully we will see some new data at Retrovirus in February.

skin allergies
Italian Therapeutic Vaccine