Adjusting to medication schedule

I was diagnosed as HIV positive two months ago. It was determined that starting meds would be the best option since my CD4 count is below 200 and my viral load is high. Today is my first day on the medication, and I am worried about sticking to this new schedule. How important is it that I take the pills at the same time every day? Thanks

Thanks for your question.

Your interest in adherence is to be applauded, since this is one of the most important factors in the long-term success of your HIV medications.

While the ideal situation is to take the medications at the same time each day, the practical realities of life often make this difficult, if not impractical. In reality, I tell my patients that if you get the dose in within a couple of hours of the schedule, you're fine. The key thing is taking the meds, not when you take the meds.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing. Thanks for reading. BY

Please Help!!!
HIV experts in every state