Please Help!!!

Dear Doctor I found out a month ago that my sister is HIV+. However, she has known since July 2003. She is not taking any medicine nor is she seeing a doctor..she use to weight almost 200 pounds, but when I saw her, she appears to weight about 90-100 pounds. I have tried to convince her to seek help. She refuses to seek any type of help, because she is afraid of being arrested. She broke her Probation several years ago and there is a warrant for her arrest. She said she does not want to die in jail. She does not take any medication nor does she have any financial income.

Do you know of any agencies in Pensacola FL that I can contact who would help her with medical and financial aid without exposing her personal information to the Authorities which could lead to her being arrested for the outstanding warrant against her?

I love my sister and I want to try to help her...I don't know how much time she has to live, especially with her not being under a doctor's care.

Please Help me help my sister...

Thanks You.

Thanks for your question-- I'm sorry to hear about your sister's situation. The most important thing to understand is that there are resources to help- even for persons with challenging life situations and/or advanced HIV disease.

The following advice comes from Stacy Kanehl, a HIV pharmaceutical representative and all around cool person in the Florida HIV community:

First, call Escambia County Health Department (In Pensacola) and ask for Kay McWhiter. Her direct line is #850-595-6762. She is the assistant community health nursing director for HIV/AIDS program coordinator.

Second, call OASIS in Ft.Walton Beach and speak to Butch McKay (Director of ASO). His number is 850-314-0952. Butch runs OASIS and helps many HIV patients in the panhandle.

I hope this helps, let us know how things turn out. Good luck and happy holidays. BY

Double Barrelled Response Vaccine
Adjusting to medication schedule