Allergic Reactions

I have been HIV for 9 years. I found out when I was pregnant. I was healthy for 5 years then when my cd4 count fell below 500 I started on meds. About two years ago, I had cervical cancer and after all the surgery and treatment I am cancer free. The problem is about that time my meds were no longer working and my cd4 count fell below 100. I am now on viramune and doing better, however, I have had severe allergic reactions to many antibiotics and just recently to oxycontin which was prescribed for pain after knee surgery. I almost died from the allergic reaction this time and was in the hospital for 5 days. Why I am now having allergic reactions? I never had them before I started my HIV meds. Is this a normal side affect?

Hi, thanks for posting. Allergic reactions are more common in persons with HIV infection. This is likely related to disordered immune regulation related to the effects of depletion of CD4 cells by HIV. Allergies to antibiotics are probably the most common, but other medications can produce reactions as well. In addition, there are quite a few interactions of HIV medications with other drugs and this further complicates management. So all new medications that are prescribed (to anyone actually) should be carefully thought out.

Trizivir and rash
I was diagnosed with AIDS then started treatment