Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

confused about what meds to take

I recently found out I was hiv+ and my doctor just started me on sustiva and combivir last week. I went to see another doctor for a second opinion because I wanted to be reassured about the meds that I was taking. The second doctor recommended for me to take sustiva, viread, and epivir. The second doctor didn't think that I should be taking AZT, because he felt that the side effects, especially dealing with the bone marrow, were not good. So I decided upon the second doctors opinion to switch to the sustiva, viread, epivir combo. He knew that I had taken a couple of days of the sustiva/combivir combo, but I'm still concerned if I did more harm than good by switching so early and possibly building resistance to compivir. If the sustiva, viread, epivir combo does not work, is it possible for me to try to sustiva/combivir combo in the future, or other combos that are just as good? I'm just overwhelmed with all of the information I have read, and want to make sure that I am on the right track.

Both of the regimens that were suggested to you are very good. There is not a risk in switching to the second regimen after a few days. One of the best response rates in a clinical trial of HIV medicines for treatment-nave patients has been seen with the combination of Viread, Epivir, and Sustiva. In view of this data it is hard to fault the regimen that you are currently on. In the very unlikely event that it does not work there will be many options for you, but Combivir/Sustiva is not likely to be one of them. Above all, don't lose any sleep over your choice; you are on the right track. Just don't miss taking any doses of your medications. Good luck!

Need Help Please...HTLV Question
Trizivir and rash