Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Detection follow-up - help I'm falling and am trying to get up
Dec 1, 2003

David,

I read the following post on DETECTION and it started to dampen down my woo-hoo feelings as a result:

Detection (Posted 11/26)

Dave,

I was just wondering if there is a period after HIV infection when antibodies are no longer detectable, like 3-7 years after infection. Would n Elisa done in this time period be able to detect HIV, syp. or HepC

YOURANSWER:

HIV antibodies, generally persist throughout life. The only time these antibodies may be hard to detect is during severe immunosuppression, like in late stage AIDS, when even the B-cells that make our antibodies are so dysfunctional that they do not make antibodies. Even so, most persons with advanced HIV infection still are HIV+ by ELISA and western blot. DW

David, the part that concerned me was the "severe immunosuppression". I have crohn's and had a low risk exposure over a year ago. I took the several Elisa HIV-1 tests (3,6,9,12 months) all came back negative. I still feel tired a lot of the time and bad at times (usually in the evening), have had some night sweats for weeks etc. But after the negative tests I convinced myself some was due to stress, others to crohn's.

I guess it is my lack of understanding of immunosuppressed. I have had a lot of the feelings/symptoms at different times over the past 25 years I have had crohn's, but some seem different too - maybe due to age or crohn's disease progression.

Am I worrying needlessly and should I take my 4 tests as definitive and continue to move on with life?

I thought despite the crohn's I would have shown AB production on one of the tests if I had HIV.

Anyway, thanks!! M2

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear M2-

Crohn's disease is not the kind of immunosupprerssion I am talking about. I mean in bed, skeletal, CD4 count=3, comfort care immunosuppression. You do not have HIV infection. DW

Previous
Genital Herpes
Next
finally not depressed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.