Realistic 8-10 years before AIDS

Again, I am writing to you regarding my son's recent diagnosis of HIV. I know that he was recently infected and diagnosed and put on meds. When I read the forums I notice that individuals say that they are HIV pos. for say 4 years or less and are experiencing many complicated symptoms. I thought that symptoms didn't really show up until CD4 were low and that usually took several years? I just want to know what to expect. I know that every individual is different and that he may never experience symptoms for many many years to come. My perception of this disease is that it can go virtually undetected for years.....so why are some inflicted with complications early on?

Thanks for your questions.

Sounds like there might be some confusion about the natural history of untreated HIV disease and differentiating this from the potential side effects of medications.

In the former, it typically takes many years from time of infection to an AIDS complication (this is the 8-10 year number that is often quoted).

The later issue is more complicated to predict-- on our forum we hear much from persons who can have very early side effects of medications, some even from the first days of medications. Important in this statement, though, is that many persons who are starting therapy in 2003 have very few, if any side effects; owing primarily to improvements in medications and side effect mitigation. We are also fortunate to have multiple treatment options for those who are starting meds, so that if your son is unfortunate enough to have side effects, there are alternative medications to use.

Good luck to your son, Mom. Thanks for reading. BY

CHANCE FOR IMPROVEMENT IF ANY (FROM INDIA0
Combivir and Videx