I am on a PEP program is it right???

Doc. I had a high risk encounter 62hrs ago. Receptive Anal with condom but unsure of proper condom use. I am in a panic so went to the Hospital. The Doctor put me on Kaletra and Combivir until I get in to see the HIV people. Am I doing the right thing? Is this the right Med. How are my chances of averting the virus if I did indeed get it? Thank You

Hello, one of the challenges of this forum is that since it is not real time it is best for people with possible HIV exposures to call an HIV hotline or warmline for immediate advice beyond standard medical attention. PEP, or post exposure prophylaxis for a possible or definite HIV exposure should lower the risk of transmission (which is low to begin with). Starting treatment several days after an exposure likely has little benefit and the risks of HIV meds may outweigh the potential benefits in this scenario. PEP should be started early (within 24 hours, preferably within several hours) to make it worthwhile. The selection of Combivir and Kaletra is reasonable, but again in view of the time delay I personally would not recommend it. Best of luck.

condom burst
Exact 12 hour timing?