condom burst

Hello Dr., I want to know what are the chances of being infected with HIV if the condom burst while you were having intercourse with a partner whose HIV+. Immediately after that situation I douche and I went for a test which came after a week negative but I'm not convinced I am thinking that its showing my initial status before the condom burst, anyway after the burst I douche, did the test and I took the prophylaxis/3TC for a month and I'm due for another test at this stage I am really panicking because I had flu for two weeks now and I am having a bump behind my one ear its not soar though but only slightly painful when you press hard on it.

Hello, the situation that you describe is not unusual. We now offer PEP, or post exposure prophylaxis, to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV following an exposure. The risk of transmission depends on a number of factors including the viral load of your partner. In general, the lower the viral load, the lower the chance of transmission of virus. The absolute risk for one sexual exposure is quite low, probably in the range of 0.2% (1/500). This low risk is reduced even further by taking medications. If you took Epivir (3TC) alone for PEP this is somewhat unusual (2 or 3 meds are typically combined), but should still be active. The flu that you describe is probably some virus other than HIV, but it is wise to have a follow up test now. This should include an HIV antibody and also an HIV viral load test. Again, try not to panic because most viral type infections following an exposure represent coincidental viruses that we all come in contact with periodically. Good luck!

initial therapy
I am on a PEP program is it right???