Blood Splash to the eye from an HIV patient

I was day 8 on my treatment when I e-mailed. I was trying so hard to find ways and means to stay on it. I stopped taking the Reglan the following day beacause of its side effects and was vomiting at 2:30 in the morning by Wednesday. I called the ID fellow and switched me over to Kaletra based on the pt's resistance. I do not know her viral load but her CD4 was less than 200. She was also off her meds for a month before she was restarted again and the splash occured 2 days after. I was happy at first with Kaletra at first and the side effects were tolerable but not for long. It seemed the one week mark always made itself known. I started taking Zofran which at first really helped but towards the end of the week it only took the edge off and it also made me so gassy in an uncomfortable kind of way. Finally Day 17 I stopped taking everything. Today, I am still reeling from its side effects but I am starting to feel much better. I truly hope I did not make the wrong decision. Again, any new data that you know of that I haven't heard/read already? I am worried that I may end up being that small percentage.

This response is 3 weeks after your post so I trust you are returning to normal. I don't think that you made the wrong decision to stop therapy. Intolerable side effects are just that and you can't continue prophylaxis at any expense. Although 4 weeks of PEP is the standard of care we don't have evidence that 4 weeks is better than 2 weeks and early initiation of PEP is likely the most critical issue. Eye splash exposures are also much lower risk than needle stick exposures so the chance of transmission is extremely low and you should be fine. Good luck!

Higher VL and re-starting treatment
restarting treatment