Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm not sure where to ask this-Stem Cell Research..
Nov 25, 2003

I'm not sure which forum to bring this to, but I trust you Doctors can answer my question-if you will.

When Stem Cell Research was Front Page News I thought I had heard grumblings that it could be very benefical to HIV treatment and possibly lead to a cure. Well, since the story died down I lost interest... Until last Thursday, when I learned my Girlfriend is HIV+. Now, I've been looking into Sem Cell Research and havent came across any mention HIV. My question is: Can Stem Cell Research (if approved) give an eniterly new hope to HIV/AIDS Patients?

Thank You, CM

PS: I salute all of you for your tremendous efforts on this forum.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, stem cell research is one of the most interesting and potentially transformational strategies for an almost unlimited array of human diseases. Stem cells are the undifferentiated progenitor cells that have the ability to form a variety of distinct cell types in response to manipulation of their environment. So, for example, stem cells could be coaxed into becoming nascent heart muscle cells which then could be used to improve heart function in someone otherwise destined to die or require a heart transplant. Similarly, stem cells could be stimulated to become neural cells that produce dopamine and delivered to the part of the brain that is deficient in dopamine production in order to help patients with Parkinson's disease. Stem cells for bone marrow replacement, new retina cells for macular degeneration. Think of just about any human disease (including HIV infection) and you can imagine how stem cells might help.

With longstanding HIV infection and AIDS some people have severe bone marrow depletion. Stem cell replacement of bone marrow could conceivably be useful in this setting. AIDS-related lymphoma is another condition that is being studied with stem cell strategies.

The good news is that most people with HIV respond extremely well to medication and don't require stem cells strategies. In my opinion, the future cure of HIV will involve gene therapy and genetic engineering rather than stem cell research. In any case, these fields are in their infancy, but enormously promising.

Previous
blood sugar
Next
Which Option

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.