Should I Switch ? or Add ?

Hi Dr. Young, I started treatment 2 years ago with VL=7000, cd4=350. My first triple therapy was Sustiva/Videx EC/Zerit. This worked well, at 3 months VL=undetected, CD4=375. I had to halt treatment due to neuropathy in month 4. My doctor switched me to Combivir/Fortovase, but I quickly stopped the fortovase due to vomiting, nausea, and only took Combivir for about 2 months. I added Sustiva again to the Combivir, and after 3 months, VL=500, CD4=400. After 6 months, VL=225, CD4=375. After 9 months VL=825, CD4=365. I am not achieving an undetected VL and my CD4's are slowly dropping. Is this failing ? Should I totally switch ? My doctor's new idea is to add Viracept to Combivir/Sustiva ? I hesitate to try another PI. Are there any other ideas ?? Thanks for your thoughts..

Thanks for your post.

The first and most important answer to your question (aside from making sure that you're adherent) is what type of drug resistance, if any, that your virus exhibits.

With a viral load between 500 and 1000, it should be relatively straightforward to obtain a resistance test-- I get both a phenotype and genotype whenever possible.

With that information, I'd be able to give you a much more concrete set of recommendations.

So, I'd be asking my doctor to confirm my elevated viral load and obtain a resistance test.

Let us know what the tests reveal. Good luck, BY

HIV + SHINGLES
Side Effects LT Survivor